Wednesday, May 13, 2009

this lazy day...

Here I am, sitting alone on my roof. The sun is setting behind me, in the west. It’s the day people vote for their leaders. It’s practically a holiday, or a bandh- this city is famous for those. Three are nothing but the houses, and their roof tops, stretching for what seems like miles on my right. There only a single tree I can see. On my left is the street. Not a tree in sight, as all of the trees have been cut to allow the streets to become bigger for the increasing number of cars. They had been absolutely beautiful and enormous trees. They had dominated this area since my mother was a child even.
A couple of houses away, its pretty far away, I can see at least five boys dancing to some loud Hindi song that I can hear from here. They must be their school dance team. An occasional loud cheer bursts out from song other area. I cannot make out why, or where. A horn is blown as the priests of the near-by mandir continue their chants for the day. The burning ghat (where they cremate the dead) seems inactive today. It’s right down the street. Iv always had a feeling this street was haunted. Once a long time ago, my father and I went to fetch the car at three in the morning. We were going on a trip somewhere I cannot remember. We had seen these beautiful elephants walking down the road. One man sat on the back of one these beautiful creatures. They walked silently and very fast into the darkness of the morning. If we hadn’t noticed when we did, we wouldn’t have seen them
A black ant is crawling on my arm. I flick it away, thought these small ones never bite. A lizard is running on the floor as fast as it can. I never was a fan of those reptilian creatures. I look up at the sky, amazed to see the sky a dark blue. It had been a pinkish tinged color only moments ago. I am looking up at the sky; I can see a sole star. Bats fly across the sky, silently, almost invisible. They fly to some orchard near-by, I suppose. The boys have gone back into the house. The cars start to honk loudly down there. People are slowly turning on their lights.
I look up to see, to my surprise, a boy in the near-by house staring at me. Hasn’t he ever seen a girl sitting on her roof, enjoying the breeze? Ok, maybe not many people sit on the floor of their roofs and furiously type on their computers. But, whatever. Im going back downstairs to draw something.

No comments:

Post a Comment